Skip to main content

Out of the Cast - Blade Runner



WE'RE BACK and this time, join The Curmudgeon (myself) and Accounting For Games in our podcast discussion on the classic 1982 tech-noir Blade Runner!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Crash Course in Writing a Great Detective Movie

Image courtesy of Green Ornstein Words by  Curmudgeon Film Talk . SETTLE DOWN CLASS. …ehem… Sorry, I’ve always wanted to say that. In either case, welcome to Detective Writing 101 . Today, we’re going to be taking a peruse through a few trademarks of a great detective story . I’ll be your professor, Dr. Curmudgeon . Except I don’t have a Master’s Degree yet, so I’m not a professor. Nor do I have a doctorate, so the proper title would be Mr. Curmudgeon. But I have a blog, and I complain about movies on the internet. That’s basically the same as having a PhD, right? If you’re familiar with my writing – which might be unlikely , since Curmudgeon Media’s collective following consists of an old man who lives in my crawl space, my dog, and a boiled egg – you may have noticed that I’m big on film noir . When I say “big on film noir,” I of course mean that I will shoehorn it into any conversation, and if I could materialise its essence and inject it directly int...

How A Silent Voice changed my life - a salute to Kyoto Animation

Written by The Curmudgeon I n 2017 I watched a film for the first time which perfectly embodied my experience with depression. The story and themes captured not just the symptoms of my personal depression, but also a cause. It so succinctly sliced through the confusing bullshit of my mind. It cracked a code. I’m talking about  A Silent Voice   (2016) . I feel indebted to this movie because it somehow found a way to explain my depression better than I ever could. It gave me words when there were none. It made depression feel like a less lonely place, perhaps just because I had something to compare myself to. I’d like to delve into how the film affected me and how I read into it personally. This is not a review, nor is it an exhaustive essay claiming to understand what the film is ‘about’, per se. This is simply my own take on a film which affected me in a totally idiosyncratic way. And, as always…spoilers ahead. A Silent Voice revolves around two kids: a...

Red Riding: film noir and realism

Written by The Curmudgeon I have to admit to being a bit of a sucker for film noir. The old-school capers like A Touch of Evil (1958) and The Killers (1946), or the renaissance “neo-noir” flicks like Blade Runner (1982) or Brick (2005), it’s all the same to me. That said, it’s not a great time to be a fedora-core, noir-nerd like me. The genre doesn’t see much contemporary attention these days, and anyone such as myself is left a bit starved of the grim catharsis those bleak tales and ghostly shadows can provide. That’s why it’s so refreshing to stumble upon a noir you’ve never heard of, never seen, but is nonetheless incredibly fucking good . That, folks, is why I’d like to introduce you to the Red Riding Trilogy . A series of British TV movies aired in 2009, Red Riding stands out, above all else, because it’s so relentlessly real . It skips the romanticism of your typical Raymond Chandler story, trading in the picturesque aesthetic of American city streets for the r...